Tauranga Shore Excursion: Rotorua City Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Rotorua Hop-On Hop-Off Explorer
Route Duration: 7 hoursStops on the Rotorua Hop-On Hop-Off Explorer:
- 4 Salisbury Ave - The vehicle and driver will be located just outside the pedestrian port gate, a short walk from the ships gangway, beyond the Information Marquee. Look out for the Shore Trips and Tours sign.
- Rotorua Airport - Drop off only - for customers doing Raftabout rafting
- Whakarewarewa - The Living Maori Village
- Te Puia
- Polynesian Spa
- Rotorua i-SITE Visitor Information Centre
- Lakefront Drive - Here you can access jetboat trips with Katoa Jet, or helicopter trips with Volcanic Air
- Skyline Rotorua - Rainbow Springs is right next door
- OGO Rotorua
Lake Rotoiti / Lake Rotorua / Mt Maunganui Main Beach / Kuirau Park
Operates: After departing Tauranga it is just over 1 hours drive to Rotorua. Once in Rotorua we make 4 circuits of the city allowing access to the most popular attractions. It is important to note the bus does NOT return to your ship in Tauranga during the day - the hop-on hop-off part of the day is entirely in Rotorua.
- Experienced, professional and friendly guide
- Great discounts on selected attraction entry fees
- Comfortable, air-conditioned transport
- Full commentary
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Destination/attraction entrance fees
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- This tour is not suitable for user of mobility scooters or wheelchairs (unless very small collapsible ones) . Folding walkers/frames can usually be accommodated but passengers must be able to enter a minibus using the standard steps. You must advise us at the time of booking if you are bringing any mobility device - failure to do so may result in you not being able to take the tour.
- The driver will provide details of all destinations served by the Rotorua Explorer and you will receive the timetable for the day upon boarding
- Tour departs at the time shown unless this conflicts with the ships ETA or ETD, in which case the tour will operate so that you are back in port at least one hour before sailing. Please meet us at least 15 minutes prior to the departure time
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
It's a long drive but two things made it good. First, the driver was extremely knowledgeable about the area and had a wealth of information to give us. He did it in an entertaining way that held our interest. Second, we returned via a different route. The driver was exactly where he said he would be at the time he specified so all went smoothly.
Driver was excellent and very helpful and obliging to all the passengers. Still kept us on time schedule while still being flexible. Thanks Kelly.
A good way to see this area of New Zealand. Our driver was great, took a sidetrip to a waterfall which was beautiful. He basically allowed the tourist to determine where the bus would go, drop us off and pick us up on our schedule. We went to the Sky Park in Rotorua...forget its actual name where we rode the sleds several times down the track. It was beautiful and a very fun experience. Both my wife and I are over 60 and it was easy sledding. We could have booked the same tour through our Cruise Ship but again Viator saved us a significant amount of money on all of our tours in New Zealand.
The driver was friendly, very informative and couldn't be more helpful.
You can't see everything in one day so this is a good way to pick and choose the sites that are the most important. Driver was very accommodating in letting passengers go to different sites and then picking them up. Much cheaper than the cruise ship tours.
When I think of a Hop-On/Hop-Off bus, I think of a bus that circles a city and continuously stops at about a dozen key attractions. The guests can look out the window until they see something they want to do, then hop off, go see that attraction, and be assured the bus will be back soon to pick you up once you're done. This tour is NOT a Hop-On/Hop-Off bus. Instead, the bus takes you exactly where you want to go, and picks you up exactly when you want to be picked up. Good idea, but impractical if you're not familiar with Rotorua and don't know exactly what you want to do. As we boarded, the very nice driver asked every group where they were going. This met with a ton on indecision -- we were all tourists who didn't know exactly what we wanted to do. I told him we wanted to go to Wai-O-Tapu, and he explained he couldn't take me there because it was too far away and we really didn't have enough time. Okay... the description said we could go to Wai-O-Tapu and that's exactly why I booked this tour, but whatever. As each group disembarked at their chosen destinations, the driver asked us how long we needed before we picked him up. Again, we're tourists - we have no idea how long each attraction will take. Ultimately, transportation was pleasant and on-time, hence a mediocre review. But if I had realized that this was not a true Hop-On/Hop-Off bus that allowed you to see the city, I would have just rented a car and gone exactly where I wanted to.