Shore Excursion: Tauranga Morning Highlights - with FREE lunch
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Mt Maunganui Main Beach, Marine Parade, Mount Maunganui, Tauranga New Zealand
Admire the harbour and beaches that draw so many tourists to the region. See million-dollar beachfront houses overlooking one of the nation’s best surf beaches at Mt Maunganui. Learn about the significance of ANZAC day at the memorial cenotaph.
Duration: 15 minutes
Pass By: The Elms, 15 Mission Street, Tauranga 3110 New Zealand
Learn about how the Mission shaped the formation of Tauranga as we pass by one of New Zealand’s most important historic buildings, (and Tauranga’s oldest colonial structure). Also see Monmouth Redoubt and other historical city sites.
Stop At: Gate Pa Memorial Reserve, Gate Pa School 900 Cameron Road, Tauranga 3112 New Zealand
Visit the scene of a fierce battle at the Gate Pa Battle Site. An important and fascinating part of Tauranga’s history – this is where British forces fought local Maori in 1864, and came off second best!
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Mossop's Honey, 761 State Highway 29 Tauriko, Tauranga 3171 New Zealand
Try some famous Manuka honey at this locally run honey business. See the hives in action and sample a honey ice cream (own cost).
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Minden Lookout, Minden Road, Tauranga New Zealand
Grab a panoramic photo of the Bay of Plenty from the Minden lookout (weather permitting). On a good day you will not only be able to see your ship sitting far below in the harbour, but also the active marine volcano of White Island puffing away in the distance.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Hairy Maclary & Friends Tauranga Waterfront Sculpture, The Strand, Tauranga New Zealand
Situated on the scenic Tauranga waterfront - these colourful characters were made famous in the children's books by Lynley Dodd. This is just a short walk from our lunch stop at Bobby's Fish Market - where we stop for approximately 45 minutes to enjoy a delicious lunch of fresh fish and chips on the waterfront. This place is famous in Tauranga for having the best fish and chips around.
Duration: 45 minutes
- Experienced and professional local driver/guide
- Air-conditioned transport
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Lunch - Fish and Chip lunch at waterfront location
- Manuka honey tasting
- Personal expenses
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- This is a general sightseeing trip with almost no walking required
- This tour is not suitable for user of mobility scooters or wheelchairs (unless very small collapsible ones) . Folding walkers/frames can usually be accommodated but passengers must be able to enter a minibus using the standard steps. You must advise us at the time of booking if you are bringing any mobility device - failure to do so may result in you not being able to take the tour.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- A free fish and chip lunch is included consisting of one portion of fish and chips per person. Unfortunately there are no alternatives included. The lunch is not vegetarian or gluten-free friendly.
- This is the first half of our Tauranga Shore Excursion: A Day in the Bay tour. If you'd like a longer, more in-depth local tour please see that listing
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 24 travelers
An interesting morning. Elm Mission was good. Learnt more about NZ history and Maori/ European relations. Guides were knowledgeable Le and accommodating.
Enjoyable and interesting tour around the Mission Station and the area in general. The guide was helpful and informative.
Very good small group two couples, almost-private tour. Opportunity to learn and appreciate indigenous Maori history and sometimes turbulent history with European colonialists. My wife and I would have liked a more leisurely pace for the visit to historical sites, as our guide pushed us along to meet a scheduled visit to the Elms Mission Station. This issue cost the review one star. Good, knowledgeable guide.
This was a great tour. Our guide was very knowledgeable. The van was equipped to handle at least 10 people and only four of us were on the tour. Couldn't get a more private tour. It was great and highly recommend.
This was well done and we got a good history of the area. I think we could have spent less time at the Elms Mission Station although it was interesting.
Our guide was friendly and knew his city well. We were only 3 in a van for 8 so it was like a private tour. Even the mission tour was just us, so we really enjoyed it.
Colin provided a good tour of the Tauranga area, a kiwi farm, Mt. Maunganui and the Elms Mission Station. The only problem was no air conditioning on the bus for which he apologized profusely!
A visit to The Elms Mission Station is truly worthwhile.
Not that interesting. Views ok
Very good excursion, small group and very informative guide