Authentic Japanese Sword Experience with Tea Ceremony, Japanese Calligraphy and Kimono Fitting Options
Watch a captivating demonstration by a professional, then try handling the blade yourself. Also take the chance to put on a kimono, participate in tea ceremony, and try your hand at shodo calligraphy.
Meet your instructor, a skilled professional, at a school dedicated to traditional Japanese arts and culture. Your instructor demonstrates shizan (test cutting), which involves a series of swift, precise cuts through a rolled straw mat. After the demonstration, take the opportunity to handle the blade yourself, learning how to hold and swing the katana under careful guidance.
Immerse yourself further in Japanese culture by participating in a kimono dressing. Experienced dressers help you through the intricate process of donning the kimono's many layers and tying the obi belt. Men can try on haori-hakama, which features wide, trouser-like bottoms and a light jacket on top. Sit down for sado (Japanese tea ceremony) and learn about the etiquette needed to properly enjoy the sweets and bitter matcha green tea of the elaborate custom. During a shodo (calligraphy) lesson, practice exact brush strokes and flicks before drawing out a word in kanji, Japanese characters.
- Lesson from a master of each art form
- All necessary equipment
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Food and beverage
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Minimum age is 15 years
- All passenger heights must be advised at time of booking if Kimono option is chosen
- Sword program can be replaced with another option, if there are specific programs that you would rather try (Please advise at the time of booking).
This was one of the best experiences we had while in Tokyo. We did all of the events, Sword/Calligraphy/Tea Cermony/and Kimono. The instructor was fun during each experience. The facilities were also top notch. The highlight was using a 150 year old Katana to slice a tatami mat up. Was definitely a great experience.