Tokyo Grand Sumo Tournament Viewing Tour
- B-Class arena chair seat on the second floor
- Professional guide
- Sumo information pamphlet and sumo-ranking list (in English)
- Dinner (only if "Dinner Included" option is selected)
- Entry/Admission - Ryogoku Kokugikan
- Hotel pickup/drop-off
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Infants between age 0 and 3 are free of charge provided they do not occupy a seat; no meal provided
- If you prefer to include dinner in the tour: 1) Select "Dinner Included" option and specify "chanko hot pot" or "sukiyaki" in the Special Requirements field at checkout. If no meal preference is specified prior to tour departure, chanko hot pot will be served
- Vegetarian option is available; a vegetarian request upon application. Please note that it is not possible to accept vegetarian requests, change of cuisine on the day.
- For those participating in a wheelchair please make a request in the free entry field when booking. - As Ryogoku Kokugikan's wheelchair storage area is on the 1st floor, please go to the 2nd floor on your own or with the help of an accompanying group member. When heading to the seats there are stairs and escalators going up and down.
- Please refrain from bringing food and drinks into the arena. Please purchase food and refreshments from the vendors inside the arena.
- Please note that you may have to wait to be taken to your seat if one of the following events is underway at the time: a sumo match, the ring entering procession of the Makuuchi division wrestlers (dohyoiri), the ring entering procession of the Yokozuna, the ritual stomping ceremony, or a speech by the Sumo Association (on the first and the last tournament day). In such a case, you will be taken to your seat when the event is over.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Depending on congestion conditions on the day, customers may be asked to tour around the Sumo Museum on their own.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Participants will watch from 2nd floor B seats (rows 7-11, chair seating). Also, seats may not be designated. This information will be provided on the day of the tour.
- Tours departing from Hamamatsucho will travel to Ryogoku by train, and customers may be required to make a transfer or use stairs/escalators, so please book a tour departing from Ryogoku.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 40 travelers
This was great and the tour guid was very knowledgeable it was very easy to find pic up locaion as well.
Sumo is the national sport of Japan and the basho (tourney) is a must-see if you want to capture the traditions of the country. There is beauty, art, power, technique... and good food and drink! The upper deck chair seats are roomy for those of us that can't sit on the floor.
Our tour guide was kind and helpful! The detailed information he provided made the experience more meaningful and enjoyable!
It was a fantastic day and very organised. Our guide was super enthusiastic and fun. Couldn't have asked for a better experience.
The local agents were excellent, provided great information and literature, were very attentive and made sure we understood the background and everything that was happening and so got the most out of our visit to the Sumo event. A great afternoon.
I wanted to cross off going to a sumo tournament from my bucket list and this was a great way of doing so! The tour guide was very helpful in providing the history of sumo and about the importance of the different ceremonies. During the matches, the tour guide made sure we knew which matches were up next and provided a detailed list about each sumo wrestler, including their ages, height and weight, special moves, etc. It was a great time, and I would love to do it again someday!
Going to the Sumo tournament with this tour was worth every dollar. Not only did our guide Miko explain the history and sport of Sumo, but she also did all the hard work for us navigating us to the stadium, which is a bit far outside the city center.
There are 2 sumo tournaments held in Tokyo each year and if you are lucky enough to be there during one of these tournaments, this ancient sport is definitely worth seeing. We booked our sumo tour tickets through Viator well in advance of our trip to Japan. As has been our experience with booking tours through Viator, everything turned out as expected and our group of 6 adults had a great time. We arrived at the Hamamatsucho Bus Terminal at the designated time and had no problem locating the tour group. Our english speaking tour guide Yuki was excellent and our group had a great time at the match. The Tokyo sumo tournaments usually sell out fast so I recommend that you make your tour booking shortly after the day that sumo tickets are released for sale. You can find out when tickets go on public sale from the Ticket Oosumo website.
My guide Marie was great and the Chanko got pot was delicious! It was very informative and I was able to get many questions answered.
I would suggest this is a must for travel to Japan. I would go again. Great cultural and sports event.
Awesome experience would definitely do it again, the translator was a little difficult to understand. But overall 5/5
This was a fantastic experience and made better by having a guide explain everything to us. We learnt about the history of the Sumo, how the matches work, how much the Sumo's earn through sponsors and thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere of the stadium. Highly recommended.
Our tour guide was awesome! Miki is the best! We met her on the Ghibli Museum tour, and she remembered us from that trip. She is a big Sumo fan, and very knowledgeable and has her own fight card/cheat sheet made up so we could follow each individual match and know something about each of the wrestlers. For me, it was the highlight of our 10 day trip. Loved everything about it. Very happy we were lucky enough to see part of a Sumo tournament, and even luckier to get Miki as a tour guide. She was the deluxe upgrade to a fantastic tour.