Your Trier Experience: Hotel, Breakfast, Wine Tasting, Dinner and more
Visit the UNESCO-listed Imperial Roman Baths (Kaiserthermen) to see a labyrinth of Roman bathing rooms, or head to the Porta Nigra, an imposing 2nd-century city gate, said to be the largest Roman gate north of the Alps. Translated as the "Black Gate," the UNESCO-listed Porta Nigra takes its name from its dark appearance; its stone has darkened dramatically since Roman times. Pass the former monastery of Simeonstift, and see Dreikönigenhaus, a Gothic house with an attention-grabbing façade.
After taking in the bustle of Trier’s central market, the Hauptmarkt, pass the UNESCO-listed Trier Cathedral (Trierer Dom) to admire the Roman Throne Room of Constantine the Great (Konstantin Basilika).
In the early evening, it’s wine tasting time! Follow your guide to a wine tavern in the Old Town for a 1.5-hour tasting of six varietals of wine from Moselle, Saar and Ruwer. Learn about the grape variety grown in the area, and of the mineral-rich tones that give the local wine its rep.
After some free time, enjoy dinner in an Old Town restaurant. The menu features three courses of regional specialities, so come with an appetite.
Overnight: 4-star hotel in Trier
Day 2: Trier – Frankfurt (B)Check out of your hotel after breakfast, and then make the most of a free day to see Trier at your own pace. A City Sightseeing hop-on hop-off bus ticket is included, so why not use it to get around town? Aboard the open-top bus, listen to audio commentary and hop on or off at any of the six stops around town. See the Itinerary for a full list of stops.
Learn about sights such as Trier’s Roman Amphitheater and the Karl Marx Haus, and hop off at Trier Archaeological Museum (Rheinisches Landesmuseum Trier) to see artifacts that date back from Roman days to the baroque period. Or, take a break from the bus and sightsee by water with a Moselle River cruise (own expense).
Please note: A minimum of two people per booking is required.
- Hotel pickup from your hotel in Trier
- Meals as per itinerary (B=breakfast, L=lunch, D=dinner)
- Private walking tour with private guide
- Wine tasting (6 samples)
- Overnight accommodation in a 4 star hotel
- Professional guide
- Hotel drop-off
- Entrance fees, unless specified
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Minimum drinking age is 18 years
- Depending on the weather conditions, there will be a free entrance to the Imperial baths or the Porta Nigra
- Please note: there will be no free time for lunch between the guided city tour and the wine tasting
- There will be no guide service available at the time of dinner
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 2 travelers
The walking tour was fantastic, history and culture all in one. For some gringo's from South Dakota our guide made it great by taking extra time to take us to the wine tasting part as the directions were NOT clear. The hop off bus was good but finding the starting point was a bit tricky. Information center got us to the correct spot. You can listen to the trip naritive in several languages.