Private Tulum Ruins Half-Day Morning Tour
From there, you will be heading to the Tulum ruins for a 2-hour visit plus free time. Each Mayan city had a specific purpose, and Tulum was no exception. It was a seaport, trading mainly in turquoise and jade. As well as being the only Mayan city built on a coast, Tulum was one of the few protected by a wall. Made of limestone, the 784-metre wall encloses the site on three sides, it is seven meters thick and varies between three and five meters in height.
Like the questions which surround the decline of the Mayan world, there are several theories such as...why a wall surrounds Tulum.
One suggests that there used to be a Mayan population of 600 on the inside, protected from invaders.
Another suggests only priests and nobility were housed within the walls, while peasants were kept on the outside.
Most archaeologists believe that Tulum was occupied during the late Postclassic period (AD 1200 – 1521).
You will reach the House of Cenote, mysterious Temple of the Wind God, beautiful Temple of Paintings and then Tulum’s tallest building which is called The Castle.
With essential background knowledge provided by the archeologist guide, you’ll easily imagine how this city once served as a major seaport.
You can also take a swim in its beautiful turquoise waters and take a stroll along its beautiful beach while enjoying the unique view of the ruins from the water.
You then will be enjoying a lunch box, you will be back at your hotel around 11am to 12pm.
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (Playa del Carmen and Tulum)
- Air-conditioning transportation
- Box lunch and beverages
- Private tour
- Entry/Admission - Tulum Archaeological Site
- Alcoholic drinks (available upon purchase)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off in Cancun hotel zone
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- A minimum of 4 people per booking is required
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Infant car seats are available on request if advised at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
My family and I thoroughly enjoyed our tour and found our guide to be very knowledgeable , friendly and efficient. I highly recommend both him and the tour.
Well organized, knowledgeable guide, we had a group of 6 and all enjoyed the experience immensely.