Palazzo Ducale and Piazza San Marco guided tour
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Piazza San Marco, 31024 Venice Italy
Have a walk outdoors through the most characteristic and historical highlights of Venice. A qualified guide will escort you through the millennia of life of the Serenissima Republic, recalling the charm-packed history of this unique city.
Here is the route: Piazza San Marco - Origin, history, and description of the main monuments: Basilica San Marco, Palazzo Ducale, Bell Tower, Clock Tower and Procuratie, Santa Maria Formosa - History and anecdotes relating to this wonderful and characteristic square. Campo SS. Giovanni e Paolo - The "Pantheon" of Venice, the Great School of Charity, the captains of fortune. Marco Polo’s House and Malibran Theatre - Anecdotes and past and recent history cross each other in this beautiful corner of Venice. Return to San Marco through the Mercerie, a vital connection between Rialto and San Marco and the city’s main shopping street
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Pass By: Ponte di Rialto, Ruga degli Orefici (Rialto) San Polo, 30125 Venice Italy
Return to San Marco through the Mercerie, a vital connection between Rialto and San Marco and the city’s main shopping street
Stop At: Doge's Palace, Piazza San Marco, 1, 30124 Venice Italy
you will visit the Palazzo Ducale, which has been for centuries the seat of the Venetian political power. In his splendid rooms, plastered and immersed in hundreds of paintings masterpieces, the duke and his council controlled the fate of a thousand-year old republic. You’ll live it together with a qualified and experienced guide who will show you the halls of power, plunging you into a very special historical context: the European Middle Ages and the immediate-following centuries. You’ll be surprised at the rich details of the gold staircase, at the realism of the scenes depicted by many artists who have decorated this building. You will relive the anguish of the prisoners crossing the famous Bridge of Sighs, and enter the Venetian prisons, famous for hosting Giacomo Casanova. The ticket for the palace is included in the tour price, and it will allow you to enter without waiting.
After the visit of the Doge's Palace you will have the opportunity to visit a Glass Factory close to Saint Mark’s Square where you can see a Glass Craftsman at work. Please note this is a free of charge optional tour of approximately 20 minutes and it is not a part of the tour.
Duration: 1 hour 15 minutes
Pass By: Museo Correr, Piazza San Marco San Marco 52, 30124 Venice Italy
You may visit the other magnificent palaces around St. Mark’s Square with the same ticket by yourself (Museo Correr, Museo Archeologico Nazionale, and Monumental Rooms of the Biblioteca Nazionale Marciana). You will discover the way of life for the Venetians with paintings, libraries, coinage, and sculpture. You can also visit the area built by Napoleon and the rooms restored for Sissi, the Empress of Austria.
- Walking tour of historical center with commentary by a qualified and experienced guide
- Audio-receiver devices are included in case of groups over 10 people
- Glass Craftsman at work close to Saint Mark’s Square.
- Entry/Admission - Doge's Palace
- Guaranteed to skip the lines
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or people with walking disabilities
- Tour does not operate in case of exceptional high tide (in these cases it can be postponed the days after; otherwise, it will be refunded)
- For security reasons sacks, bags, or knapsacks are not allowed inside the Doges’ Palace. Free deposit inside.
- The tour is shared with other guests not belonging to the same party
- Mobile vouchers are accepted
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 35 travelers
This tour was amazing!
Very informative and interesting tour of the Venice backstreets giving a flavour of places to go back to and see in more detail. Then the highlight visiting the Doges Palace. The guide explained in an easy manner how power was allocated and controlled in Venice for hundreds of years to the benefit of the population as well as pointing out the wonders of the palace. Not cheap but worth the money.