Private Venice Gondola School: Learn How to Be a Gondolier
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Cannaregio, Venice Italy
Take an easy, relaxing gondola ride where you get to row the gondola! Discover the secrets behind the unique profession of being a gondolier while you’re at it. Row through Venice’s narrow waterways and learn details of Venetian history and culture.
To start your lesson, we’ll introduce you to our traditional batelina, once one of the most prolific craft in the city. Now extremely rare, they make an exceptional first-time rowing boat: stable and comfortable.
Stop At: Chiesa della Madonna dell'Orto, Cannareggio, 3512, 30121 Venice Italy
We’ll then concentrate on the basic stroke for rowing a prua (at the prow), giving a demonstration and then letting each person try it themselves, with the boat still moored. We’ll then depart, with each rower taking turns and getting acclimated to the stoke as we glide along a wide, quiet canal. We’ll then cross then into the expansive, open lagoon, where you’ll be encouraged to try rowing a poppa — steering the boat yourself at the stern, just like a gondolier. (If it’s too windy, you can still try the steering position in the canals.) We’ll then return back through the evocative side canals back to the drop-off point.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Local instructor
- Use of special gondolier training Vessel
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Not recommended for child aged 5 and under
- Comfortable shoes are recommended
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If cancelled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- Maximum 4 people per vessel
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
Great class and wonderful experience!
A great experience and very rewarding as you get a private gondola rowing lesson and take the gondola out onto the lagoon. A bit scary standing on the back of the boat for the first time but that's what makes it fun!
Unfortunately, the instructions on the itinerary were too vague and we could not find the meeting point. We wandered around for quite some time and then decided to give up. They called after the appointment had passed to say we missed it and to describe the meeting point. It would have been more helpful if they called at the time of the appointment instead.
Fantastic and unique experience. Fantastic instructor Anna. We really recommend this tour for everyone.
A very enjoyable way to enjoy Venice. We were rowing the Gondola for 90 minutes and the instructors were very knowledgeable and it was a joy to do, far better than being rowed about