Venice: Campi, Corti & Cicchetti (EN)
Unforgettably delicious and a great experience!
La Serenissima - Her Serene Highness, as Venice is called, also lives up to its noble byname with its cuisine. For centuries, merchants brought exotic ingredients from distant lands into the city, which resulted in a wide variety of typical Venetian specialties. Do as the Venetians do, stroll across campi (squares) and corti (courtyards) to savour typical cicchetti (nibbles) and other delicacies of the local Venetian cuisine in exceptional places.
Your Food Hopping event is like a multi-course meal: You experience a new location and taste a different food or drink speciality with each course - accompanied by amusing anecdotes from the city at the lagoon!
Some highlights of your Food Hopping food tour Venezia:
- Your Food Hopping guide leads you confidently through the maze of alleyways and canals, away from beaten tourist tracks. After a sparkling drink in a romantic courtyard you visit hand-picked ‘bàcari’ - typical local bars, where neighbours meet up for a chat. At his quaint bar, padrone Andrea proudly presents his very own cicchetti speciality.
- On the way to Aldo and Piero’s deli, you cross the Canale Grande on a gondola - just like a real Venetian. Winding paths, where you usually only encounter locals, lead to their family-run, very traditional salumeria - one of the last of its kind in all of Venice.From deep inside its massive counter, father and son retrieve delicious Veneto ‘formaggi’ for a cheese tasting.
- At this stop you are right in the heart of local life: take a hearty bite into a multi-layered ‘tramezzino’, the Italian take on the sandwich. A little later, the impressive architecture of the 500-year-old palazzo reminds you of the snack you just enjoyed: All around the roofed inner courtyard, colonnades rise up over three storeys like sandwich layers and conceal an unexpectedly modern establishment behind historical walls.
- A traditional dish in a location full of history: Dating back to 1890, this restaurant is the oldest of its kind and the very place where the “Venezia Football Club” was founded in 1907. Here you get to enjoy a special meal that has been served to the Doge of Venice for centuries - on the same day each year in accordance with customs of old.
- At other stops you sample a ‘shadow’, served with Venice’s cicchetti, stimulate your senses with a local venetian wines, dunk biscuits in ‘not-so-holy’ wine, indulge in a dessert called ‘pick me up’, drink espresso at the same place as Richard Wagner and Franz Liszt once did, and much, much more