Small Group Glacier Experience from Solheimajokull Glacier
Make your way on to the glacier tongue where you will put on your crampons (ice cleats) and enter the icy valley. Your guide will help the group safely navigate around the crevasses and moulins that mark the glacier, and provide a wealth of information about the formation and development of the the glacier over time. At the conclusion of your glacier exploration, your guide will help guide you back to the meeting point where you are free to explore the surrounding area and carry on with your day.
- Small group guarantee
- Guided glacier hiking tour on Solheimajokull Glacier
- Certified glacier guide
- All necessary glacier gear needed
- Pick up from Reykjavik
- Hiking shoes and waterproof gear (can be rented for a small fee)
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please note that this tour departs from Solheimajokull Cafe. Distance from Reykjavík appoximately 164 km/101 mi
- This tour is a small group experience limited to 15 participants per guide to ensure a more personalized experience
- Minimum age of 8, and minimum shoe size of EUR 35.
- This tour is operated all year round
- You spend approximately 1-1.5 hour on the ice
- The tour is rated as easy so no prior experience is needed
Never done anthring like this before and it was great. Even our 14 yr old daughter said that it was cool, what else could you ask for? Armed with Crampons, ice axes and harnesses on, we had a short 15 min walk at the start and then onto the glacier. Probably helped that there were only 7 of us plus our guide and it was a gorgeous sunny day. We learnt how to walk up, across and down ice slopes, crossed meltwater rivulets and told how and why the features formed. Bring lots of water and make sure you layer well as we were pretty hot by the time we got to the 'plateau' on the top of the glacier. Outstanding!
This tour was amazing!
Great experience. Tour company was professional. Our guide, he told us to call him Olaf, was thorough, professional, pleasant, safety conscious, and had a dry sense of humor. He showed us an ice cave that they had discovered on the glacier a few weeks earlier. The views were gorgeous and we had beautiful weather on top of it all no pun intended. Not very strenuous - whole family participated , ages 17-55. Highly recommended.
What an experience! Equipment was in great shape - our guide was fun/knowledgeable - the views were spectacular. This will be on our next journey through Iceland, again.