Black Water Rafting Waitomo Caves Tour
Designed for people with a moderate level of fitness, the five-hour invigorating journey includes a minimum of two hours exhilarating underground adventure. Abseil (Rappel) into the awesome limestone tomb to experience the adrenaline rush as you clamber and slide through squeezes, zip into the black water filled abyss and scramble up waterfalls in your pursuit of daylight.
Inside the cave naturally occurring decorations such as stalactites and stalagmites will amaze while the resident glowworms promise to provide a spectacular visual exhibition as you traverse through the subterraneous playground.
Includes: Abseiling training, abseiling 37 metres, caving and walking, cave tubing (black water rafting), glow worms, jumps, flying fox, climbing
This popular tour involves a combination of walking and floating on an inner tube through a unique underground river system. As you prepare for your adventure your professional guide will ensure you are properly equipped and teach you some fun techniques before you climb down into nature's underground network for an enjoyable cave tubing experience of a lifetime! Streams spill, twist, turn and join to build a river canyon. Glide with the water as it drops down the hidden waterfall and tumbles down rocky chutes before sliding through vaulted limestone galleries to finally emerge into the dazzling green Waitomo forest.
Prepare to be amazed at the naturally occurring decorations within the cave including stalactites and stalagmites. This exhilarating journey also provides a spectacular visual display of glowworms.
Includes: caving and walking, cave tubing (black water rafting), glow worms, small waterfall jump
At the end of your experience enjoy a hot shower, hearty soup and bagel.
- Abseiling techniques training (if option chosen)
- The use of equipment such as tubes, wetsuits, boots, helmets, abseiling devices (if option chosen) and safety equipment
- Complimentary hot shower, hearty soup and legendary Black Water bagel
- Entry to Waitomo Cave Museum
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- All participants on this tour must weigh at least 45 kilograms
- Water temperature is approximately 10 degrees Celsius
- The Waitomo Caves are located 121 miles (195 km) from Auckland. Rountrip transport from Auckland is not included
- Please note: the minimum age for following tours are:
- The Black Abyss: 16 years of age
- The Labyrinth: 12 years of age
Amazing!! The guides were wonderful and it was really a spectacular tour. The caves were incredible and the glowworms seemed 'otherwordly'. Just a fantastic experience!
Simple and easy to register. Dale and Mikayla were fun guide a but also ensured safety, even advising where to put our feet! Wonderful floating and seeing the gloworm. VERY COLD, even by my standards. Hot shower and warm soup was a nice touch at the end.
Black water rafting was a unique experience, and very different from white water rafting. Looking at the glow worms after walking in the caves for a while makes the experience even more memorable. The guides were also very helpful and ensured the safety of everyone in the group.
My two grown sons did this trip and had a great time. It was exciting without feeling dangerous. Floating through the dark cave observing the glowworms is a unique experience. The hot tomato soup and bagel at the end of the trip was a welcome finale. The only change they would make was to add more explanation about the glowworms and the cave formation. More time was spent explaining safety issues than the unique features of the cave.