The High Adventure: High Mountain Passes Spectacular from Windermere
Depart from Windermere, driving through the majestic Great Langdale Valley toward the mountain passes of Wrynose and Hardknott - 2 of the steepest roads in England. Following the line of an old Roman road (the tenth highway). The journey from Langdale take you to Wastwater, the deepest lake in England overlooked by its highest mountain, Scafell Pike in the background. The area features "Britain's Favourite View," it captures the lake surrounded by the sheer, rugged slopes of the Wastwater Screes.
Arriving in Eskdale we stop for lunch at a pub with a light lunch menu, before boarding the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway. Affectionately dubbed La’al Ratty, the heritage line takes you through enchanting, ancient woodlands down the valley.
After your charming train ride, continue your tour to Muncaster Castle, here entrance to the grounds and Garden is included. The time here varies dependant on the day but you will have time to explore some of the extensive Gardens and view the Valley of which the Castle overlooks. On the way back to Windermere, pass through the beautiful Yewdale Valley as a picturesque end to your tour.
- Transport in a small mini-coach
- On-board commentary in English
- A ride on the Ravenglass and Eskdale narrow gauge railway.
- Entry/Admission - Muncaster Castle
- Entry/Admission - Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway
- Food & drink
- Additional Entrance fees
- Driver’s gratuity (Optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be 5 years or older to travel on this tour
- Confirmation is received at the time of booking
- There will be a designated lunch stop where you’ll be able to purchase lunch
- There are toilet stops on route
- Minimal walking is involved
- Our vehicles are not currently wheelchair accessible
- Luggage storage is available at the Windermere Information departure location
- Seats cannot be reserved
- Each passenger must have their own seat
Surprisingly enchanting. Well organised and professionally handled. Showed us a part of England with steep hills, great vistas and beauty.
I know what I would change about this trip! Absolutely nothing! It was perfect! We have seen in one day what others may need a few days for. The driver/tour guide was knowledgeable, friendly and had a great sense of humor!
Our experience started on time and Jim was our guide throughout the trip. We did have a wet start as it was raining but still managed to catch a glimpse of beautiful mountain ranges and valleys hidden between them. Later in the day the rain faded. We did many stops and went through so many passes whose roads were really narrow and steep edges bordered the roads. Jim handled the drive very smoothly. We got to ride the eskdale train, stopped for Lunch. Had a break at Wast water lake it was a beauty. Then drove around the mountain roads that gave us a glimpse of the Sea , the wind mill farms and Isle of Man at far sight. We visited an iron ore making furnace it was Huge. Then was dropped back at our pick up point. Should say for first time visitors who don't fancy walking or trekking do take a trip to visit the spectacular mountain passes.
This tour was amazing!
It was amazing. Learnt a lot of the places and our tour guide was excellent. Would definitely recommend it. Planning to take my mum for some peaceful views.