Historic Uptown Neighborhood Segway Tour of Charlotte
Option 1: 1.5-hour Segway tour
Wheel down the Levine Ave of the Arts, named after local donors to the arts in Charlotte. On one side of the avenue you’ll see the Bechtler Museum, designed by a Swiss architect and opened in 2010 to show the Bechtler family’s collection of modern art. Check out Niki de Saint Phalle’s outdoor sculpture “The Firebird” – which is covered in mirror mosaic and stands more than 17 feet (5 meters) tall.
Across the street you’ll find the Mint Museum, the oldest art museum in Charlotte with one of the largest art collections in the Southeast, and the Gantt Center for African-American Arts and Culture, which presents exhibitions and performing arts. Then pop into The Green, a pocket park lined with sculptures that celebrate great literature.
Next you'll travel over to Trade and Tryon streets, a crossroads where two native American trails once intersected, which became the center of Charlotte. Then head into the historic Fourth Ward where your guide will lead you through streets lined with beautiful Victorian homes.
Levine Avenue of the Arts
Bechtler Museum of Modern Art
The Gantt Center for African-American Arts and Culture
Trade and Tryon
Option 2: 2-hour Segway tour
This option includes the sights in the shorter tour followed by a visit to the Old Settlers’ Cemetery, Charlotte’s original municipal cemetery which operated for a century starting in 1776. Listen to your guide’s tales of the prominent citizens that were buried here and at your next stop, the Elmwood/Pinewood Cemetery. Finally you'll return to modern times with a spin around the Panthers Stadium, where Carolina Panthers football fans cheer on their team.
Landmarks include those in option 1, plus:
Old Settlers’ Cemetery
Carolina Panthers football stadium
- Use of helmet
- Segway training
- Historic Uptown Neighborhood Segway Tour of Charlotte
- 1.5 or 2 hour tour options available
- Enjoy Charlotte’s diverse architecture and urban design as you explore its streets
- See top Charlotte sights and neighborhoods such as the Mint Museum and the Historic 4th Ward
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- MUST arrive 30-minutes early for Segway training prior to tour time.
- Minimum age is 12 years old AND MUST WEIGH AT LEAST 100 lbs.
- Participants under 18, they MUST be with a parent or responsible party 21yrs or older AND have a signed waiver from a parent
- Minimum weight is 100lbs so the Segway computer can respond to your movement.
- Maximum weight is 260lbs.
- Dress code: wear comfortable closed toe shoes, weather appropriate layers, and no hats
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Most travelers can participate
- Sorry, NO PREGNANT Segway tour participants!
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
I did this tour with my wife who has never been on a Segway before. The team was very patient as she learned to ride and get comfortable and confident. The tour guide was also very personable and gives a great tour with just enough information. Highly recommend!
This is a great tour of downtown Charlotte in a relaxed trip via Segway. Our guide Rod did a super job giving us highlights of Charlotte history and fun facts about some of the citizens. He also had some photo stops built in to the tour. We really enjoyed it!
Josh our guide was fantastic! I would highly recommend this tour to anyone looking to explore the Queen city!
Great day out with John of Charlotte Segway Tour on the day of the American Eclipse! What seems like an exclusive tour since I was the only one on the Tour guess cos of the Eclipse...This made it even more special, we where just on time to watch the eclipse outside the NASCAR Hall of Fame!!! Real fun and kudos to John for being such a great guide! Great Tour of Charlotte..first time on a Segway...very easy, loved every minute of it...one to Remember!
This Segway tour on 7/22 at 3pm was great. It was first time for us on Segway but our guide T made it an excellent experience easy teaching us how to operate our Segways and then by taking us to beautiful and interesting places as well by sharing his amazing knowledge about these places and the city
We had a great time on the segway tour. Our guide, Tye, was very knowledgeable and personable. We got to see and learn about Charlotte in a way that would not have been possible otherwise. The segway was easy to operate after getting used to it--they made sure we were aware of all operating instructions before we set off on our tour. The tour was lots of fun, and we got great pictures along the way. I would highly recommend it!!