Uyuni Salt Flats Full Day Tour
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Salar de Uyuni, Uyuni Bolivia
The Salar de Uyuni or “salt flats” is one of the world's highest deserts, surrounded by mountains and volcanoes that reach 5000 meters above sea level.
Meet at Red Planet Expeditions local office at 8:30am for check-in and a briefing. Start your tour at 11:00 with a visit to Uyuni's 'train graveyard' to see the first locomotives in Bolivia. Then visit the small village of Colchani (salt miners workshops next to the salt flats) before continuing on to the great salt flats of Uyuni. Along the way, see many piles of salt and the 'eyes of the salt' (big holes in the salt flats where the water, from underneath this death lake, still comes out by high pressure). Take photos as you cruise along the vast white expanse of salt, and visit a hotel made completely of salt. After lunch, travel to Inca Huasi (Fish Island), in the middle of the salt flats, where you will have time to take a hike to the top of the island to see giant cactus and rock formations made of petrified coral. Take time to organize your group for fun perspective and proportion-distorted photos on the blinding white surface of the salt flats. Return back to Uyuni around 19:00pm, stopping along the way to enjoy a fantastic sunset in the Salar of Uyuni.
Duration: 9 hours
- Transportation in a Toyota land cruiser 4x4 drive
- Local Driver & English Speaking Guide
- Entrance Fees: Isla Incahuasi (30 Bs approx), Reserva Eduardo Avaroa Protected Area (150 Bs*)
- Please note that these costs are subject to change without prior notice.
- Tips for Guide and Driver (Please keep in mind that tipping is common in Latin America and would be greatly appreciated.
- Personal Expenses
- Travel Insurance
- Toilets on the way (20 Bs approx)
- Entry/Admission - Salar de Uyuni
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- SUGGESTED PACKING LIST: Sun hat, sunglasses (to protect your eyes from the bright glare off the salt panes), sunblock, coat, gloves, wool hat, trekking shoes, warm socks, water bottle, snacks, personal medication, camera, hand sanitizer, personal first aid kit.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- WEATHER NOTE: During the rainy season from January to April, the Salt Flats fill up with water so it is not possible to cross them in the same way as during dry season. As a consequence, the itinerary is modified during that period. The main changes are usually as follows: Instead of stopping at the Inca Wasy (Fish Island), we stop at a place where the water reflects the sky and where it seems that the sky and the ground merge into one. Partial refunds cannot be made due to weather conditions.
- Most travelers can participate
The driver was very very lazy and did not care. Guide was Just OK. The first half of the day was tour of slums and stops to get our $. Did not come all the way to uyuni to be driven around see their friends and try to take our $. Lunch was bad we didn’t eat it. Once we got to the salts flats it was beautiful. Do not take this tour!
Salt Flats were amazing. If you have the time, 3 day tour would be great to do with Red Planet. I only had time for the one day tour and the guides were awesome. Really fun and knowledgeable. The guide took us to a secluded area on the salt flats so we would be the only one in our pictures and spent so much time taking photos and had different ideas as to what we should do and try. Great day.
I can not speak highly enough of Louis and the team for giving us such an unforgettable trip to the salt flats, his knowledge and his patients to help us get some awesome photos. Thank you guys
It was Amazing! The guide tour was incredible and we had so much fun there! Our guide was so kind and took a lot pics from us. I loved the veggie meal! I really recommend to do this tour!
Very good - amazing trip across Salar de Uyuni , Sunset on the desert and Cactus Island .
While the tour itself was decent, our tour guide spent too much time talking which could have been done during the car ride and not enough time at the train cemetery. We were also very stressed out that we would miss our overnight bus, which our driver reassured us we would not miss several times. We made it with 5 minutes to spare. What should have been a great day ended on a sour note as a result. I highly recommend going with a 3 day tour instead of the1 day tour if you have the time.
awesome 1 day tour! no extra time needed. just wish I visited during wet season. tour guide gave us great suggestions for poses.
Pros: The tour was amazing! Spectacular views and a great English speaking guide. He helped us to take so many unique shots. Cons: If booked directly with Red Planet in Uyuni it will be much much cheaper. Viator gives the flexibility of booking it in advance but for hefty amount!
Small group sizes and friendly staff and nice lunch. Plenty of variety in the day. Highly recommend.
Absolutely, AWESOME!!!!!! FROM THE TOUR GUIDE MARC from the SALT FLATS ITSELF!!!! ABSOLUTELY AMAZING PLACE!